This casserole takes about 20-25 minutes to prep and another 45-50 minutes in the oven. It can feed 4 hungry people or 2 with leftovers for the next day.
Original recipe from Hot for Food . I mixed it up a bit and added my own tweaks. It was a hit at my house and I plan to make it many times to come! Happy cooking 🙂
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 green apple, peeled and finely diced
- dash sea salt & pepper, to taste
- 2 cups unsweetened plant milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups frozen veggies (corn, peas, carrots, green beans)
- 2 tablespoons vegan worcestershire
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 beef (or vegetable) flavored bouillon cubes
- 2 teaspoons sage, fresh or dried
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups vegan crumbles or soy burgers, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 1/2 cups frozen tots or tater sticks
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Heat large pot over medium heat with 2 tbsp oil and brown the crumbles (I used 4 Aldi soy burgers, cut up into 1/2" pieces) for about 6 minutes. Remove browned crumbles from the pot and set aside.
- Add onion and celery and sauteé for about 3 min, until fragrant.
- Add garlic, thyme, and sage and sauté for 1-2 minutes. Boil about ½ cup of water and add bouillon cubes. Stir until they completely dissolve.
- Add bouillon, mustard, worcestershire, pepper, and frozen veg and stir to combine well and sauté for another 3 minutes.
- Add your browned crumbles back in and then gradually add the flour a bit at a time while stirring to coat everything. Once it’s all incorporated, gradually add the plant milk and stir frequently to combine the flour well. Also scrap the hardened flour on the bottom of the pan or stock pot with the milk to incorporate all the browned flour. Best to use a wooden spatula with a flat end to do this so as to not scratch the pan or stock pot.
- Once all the browned bottom is well incorporated, keep stirring while the mixture thickens over a simmer. Just as it starts to thicken and bubble remove from the heat and stir in the diced apple.
- Taste it and see if you want to add another 1/2 tsp salt. Some people might think it\'s salty already. It will also depend on what kind of bouillon you used and if you swapped worcestershire for soy sauce which is generally more salty.
- Transfer to an 8-inch x 11-inch casserole dish and top with the frozen tots.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until the tots are golden brown and crispy. Enjoy!!