Julie entered this into a chili competition and received many compliments – it’s full of flavor and very delicious. She’s made many chili recipes but this one tops the charts!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 yellow onion, chopped
- 28 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 (12 oz) can alcoholic root beer
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 large jalapenos, chopped
- 1 chili in adobo sauce, chopped, with all the adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 (14oz) can of black beans
- 2 (14oz) cans kidney beans
- 1 (14oz) can pinto beans
- 1 pound Gardein Beefless Crumbles (or other soy crumble product)
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- Fixing of your choice!
- Heat a large soup pot to medium, add oil. Sautee the onion until soft.
- Add all the other ingredients except for the liquids, beans, and soy crumbles. Allow to fry in the pan for 30 seconds to become fragrant.
- Add all the liquids and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Simmer the mix for 3-5 hours. It will reduce and the flavor complexity will increase the longer you allow it to simmer. Stir periodically.
- Just before removing the base from the heat, brown the soy crumbles in a separate pan. Drain and rinse the beans. Add all the beans and the soy crumbles to the pot.
- Cook until the beans/soy are heated through.
- Remove the cinnamon stick & bay leaves before serving. Enjoy with Tofutti Sour Cream, Go Veggie Vegan Mexican Cheese Mix, chopped scallions and some avocado slices!