- Total Time: 45m
- Serves: 4 People
- Category: Comfort Food
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 cup red dried lentils, picked through and rinsed
- 1 large Japanese sweet potato*, cubed
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 scallion greens, chopped
- 14 1/2 ounces can fire roasted tomatoes, no salt added
- 2 cups home-made or store-bought (low sodium) vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Vegan Sour Cream
Homemade Chili Powder Blend
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Heat a large pot (with lid) to medium-high. Add onions and red pepper flakes and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until onions start to brown a little – you can do this with a tbsp. of oil, water or do it dry.
- Add garlic, scallions, and spices and let cook for about 1 minute or so. Deglaze onions with a little bit of water to loosen any brown bits on bottom of pot.
- Add lentils, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, broth and water. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low simmer. Add apple cider vinegar.
- Place lid on pot while simmering. If you like a really thick chili, take the lid off after 5 or 10 minutes, to let liquid reduce. Simmer for at least 20 minutes.
- Ladle into bowls, add whatever toppings you would like and enjoy!
- Japanese sweet potatoes come out a little firmer that other, but any kind will be fine.